Last Updated on April 10, 2023 by Prepbytes
In the modern world where everything is becoming more and more interconnected, the computer network played a major role in doing so and with this, it has become an essential part of our lives. There are many applications of computer networks that we use in our daily life like browsing the internet, working on a remote server, or playing online games. Computer networks are used to communicate with various devices to access their resources. The router in computer networks is one of its main components. We will learn all about router in computer networks while moving further in this article.
What is Router in Computer Network?
The router in computer network is a device that is used to connect multiple computer networks together. It can be considered the central hub that controls the traffic from each network and directs them according to the requirement. The router in computer network works on the 3rd layer of the OSI model and uses routing tables to determine the best path for the packet to travel so that it can reach the destination.
Router in computer networks are used to connect local area networks to the internet or to each other, and they can also be used to segment the larger network into smaller networks. Their main function is to manage the network traffic but other than this there are also other features like prioritizing the traffic, providing security features like a firewall, etc.
How do Router in Computer Networks Work?
Router in Computer network work by seeing the IP address of the packet transferred. Suppose two LANs want to communicate with each other but have different IP addresses within their range. So the one which wants to communicate will send the packet to the router, the packet will contain the source and destination IP address, and the data to be transferred. The router will see the destination IP address and then will see the routing table to find the best packet for the router and will send the packet to a destination IP address.
This process will repeat for every packet of data transferred between any two LANs.
Types of Routers in Computer Networks
There are many types of routers in computer networks and they are mentioned below.
- Wired Routers: As the name suggests they are connected by wires to different devices of a network and they are the most common types of routers available and used.
- Wireless Routers: They can use the wirelessly as mentioned in the name so there is no need to maintain wires for connectivity. They are mainly used in households and small businesses.
- Edge Routers: They are mainly used by service providers as they are used to connect the large network to the internet.
- Core Routers: They are designed for high-speed data transfer and are mainly used for large networks and because of this they are sometimes referred to as the core of large networks.
Features of Router in Computer Networks
There are many features of the router in computer networks some of them are mentioned below:
- They use routing tables to select the best path for the packet and then send the packet through those paths.
- The router in computer networks is equipped with firewall software to protect our network from any unauthorized access.
- It also allows the devices on private networks to access the public network by using network address translation.
- It also provides VPN which enables it to use the router from remote positions and with security.
Applications of Router in Computer Networks
Some of the applications of the router in computer networks are given below:
- The main application of a router in computer network is that it connects the various network together so that they can communicate with each other.
- They are used for segmenting the network. I.e. dividing the larger network into the smaller network.
- They also provide various security features.
- They enhance the quality of service of the network by prioritizing the network.
Advantages of Router in Computer Networks
Some of the advantages of the network are given below:
- They improve the network performance as they direct the traffic efficiently between the devices.
- They can divide the larger network into the smaller network which increases security.
- They provide various security features like VPNs, and firewall, that protects our network from any unauthorized access.
- The router in the computer network can also prioritize the network which will save delay and interruption.
Disadvantages of Router in Computer Networks
Some of the disadvantages of the network are given below:
- The cost of router can be expensive mainly for the high-end model that is designed for a large network.
- The routers can be complex to manage and set up as they require specialized knowledge.
- The configuration should be proper to ensure optimal performance and security, which can be challenging and time-consuming.
- The failure of a router can lead to the failure of the entire network.
Routers are a critical component of computer networks. They enable different networks to communicate with each other, provide network segmentation, and offer additional features such as filtering, prioritization, and security. Without routers, computer networks would not be able to function as efficiently, securely, or reliably.
We cannot ignore the importance of routers we have understood some of the advantages of routers in this blog along with the applications and features of router in computer networks along with how the router works.
Frequently Asked Questions
Some of the frequently asked questions of routers in computer network are given below.
Q1. How does network segmentation work?
Ans: Network segmentation is the process of dividing a larger network into smaller subnets, improving network performance and security.
Q2. What is Network Address Translation (NAT)?
Ans: NAT is a feature of routers that allows them to translate private IP addresses into public IP addresses, enabling devices on a private network to access the internet.
Q3. What is a firewall?
Ans: A firewall is a security feature that is used to protect networks from unauthorized access and attacks.
Q4. Can routers be used for wireless communication?
Ans: Yes, wireless routers provide wireless connectivity to devices and are commonly used for home or small business networks.
Q5. What should I consider when choosing a router for my network?
Ans: When choosing a router for your network, you should consider factors such as the size of the network, the number of devices, the speed and