Cognizant is one of the top IT and Consulting companies in India that regularly invites top talent for job interviews. Cognizant is listed among Fortune’s Most Admired Companies for the ninth consecutive year. Cognizant is also listed on Forbes FastTech 25 companies at 18th position. With over 50 delivery centers worldwide and approximately 244,300 employees as of June 30, 2016, Cognizant is a member of the NASDAQ-100, the S&P 500, the Forbes Global 2000, and the Fortune 500 and is ranked among the top-performing and fastest-growing companies in the world.
They have several rounds of interviews for each posting and you need to nail every single one of them. That’s why we have compiled this list of Cognizant GenC Interview Questions (Aptitude) and Answers that will make you a rockstar at GenC interviews.
10 Aptitude Asked In Cognizant GenC Interview Questions
1. The cost of ten bananas, eight kiwis, and 12 papaya is ₹240. The cost of eight bananas, six kiwis, and ten papayas is ₹ 180. Find the cost of one banana, one kiwi, and one papaya.
Solution: When solving such questions, assume that banana cost = x, kiwi = y, papaya = z
So, according to the question
10x + 8y + 12z = 240 (This is the first equation)
8x + 6y + 10z = 180 (This is the second equation)
Subtract these equations
2x + 2y + 2z = 60
x + y + z = 30
So, the cost of one banana, one kiwi, and one papaya is 30.
2. Abhishek, Harshit, and Poorav can complete a piece of work in 10, 15, and 30 days. In how many days can Abhishek complete the work if Harshit and Poorav assist him every third day?
Solution: Abhishek’s two day’s work is:
(1/10) x 2 = 1/5
Abhishek, Harshit, and Poorav’s one-day work is:
(1/10) + (1/15) + (1/30) = 1/5
Work done in three days:
(1/5) + (1/5) = 2/5
Now, all three complete 2/5th of the work in 3 days. So, the time for completing the entire work is as follows:
3 * (5/2) = 7.5 days.
3. There are forty students in a class out of which there are 14 who are taking Math and 29 who are taking Computer. What is the probability that a randomly chosen student from this group is taking only the Computer class?
Solution: There are a total of 40 students. 14 are taking Math and 29 are taking computers. Therefore there have to be 3 students who are taking both classes. So, 29 – 3 = 26 students are taking only computers.
So probability = 26/40 = 13/20 = 65%.
4. Find the number, the second digit of which is smaller than its first digit by 4, and if the number was divided by the digit’s sum, the quotient would be 7.
Solution: If we consider the number 84,
then we get 8 – 4 = 4 and when the sum of digits 12 divides the number 84, we get 7.
5. Rajesh and Prabhu went to a bookshop. Rajesh purchased 5 pens, 3 notebooks, and 9 pencils and used up all her money. Prabhu purchased 6 pens, 6 notebooks, and 18 pencils and paid 50% more than what Rajesh paid. What % of the Rajesh money was spent on pens?
Solution: Let the amount spent by Rajesh be ‘x’
According to the question,
5 pen + 3 notebooks + 9 pencils = x
6 pens + 6 notebooks + 18 pencils = 1.5x
By solving both equations we get,
1 pen = 0.125x
=> 5 pens = 5*(0.125x) = 0.625x = 62.5% of x.
6. In how many ways can you arrange the letter of the words “WOOLLEN”?
Solution: The word WOOLLEN consists of seven letters in which O and L are repeated twice. The required number of permutations for the word WOOLLEN are:
7! ÷ ((2!) (2!))
or (7 6 5 4 3 2) ÷ (2 2) = 1260.
You can form 1260 words by combining all the letters of the word WOOLLEN.
7. Find the odd one out in the series: 53, 59, 61, 73, 79, 87, 89
Solution: The odd one out in the series is 87 because the other numbers are prime numbers. The factors of 87 are 1, 3, 29, and 87.
8. What is the greatest number that will divide 964, 1238, and 1400 and leave a remainder of 41, 31, and 51 respectively?
Solution: To reach the solution we just need to find the HCF of (964 – 41), (1238 – 31), (1400 – 51) = 923, 1207, 1349
The HCF of 923, 1207 and 1349 = 71.
9. There are 6 cities, and every city is connected to each other. How many different routes can one trace from A to B, such that no city is touched more than once in any one route?
There must be 1 direct route.
There are 4 ways to cover 1 city.
There are 4 3 = 12 ways to cover 2 cities.
There are 4 3 2 ways to cover 3 cities.
There are 4 3 2 1 ways to cover 4 cities.
Total ways = 65 ways.
10. The average temperature on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were 37°C and on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were 34°C. If the temperature on Thursday was 4/5 that of Monday, then what was the temperature on Thursday?
According to the question,
Monday + Tuesday + Wednesday = 37 °C
Tuesday + Wednesday + Thursday = 34 °C
Thursday = 4/5 of Monday
On solving the first two equations and substituting the values from the third condition we get the temperature of Thursday = 36 °C.
We tried to discuss the Aptitude Cognizant GenC Interview Questions. We hope this article gives you a better understanding of Aptitude. Prepbytes also provides a good collection of Foundation Courses that can help you enhance your coding skills. Want to make sure you ace the interview in one go? Join our Placement Program that will help you get prepared and land your dream job at MNCs. Mentors of Prepbytes are highly experienced and can provide you with basic, in-depth subject knowledge for better understanding.