Last Updated on June 13, 2023 by Ankit Kochar
Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), one of the worlds largest IT services and consulting companies, is on the lookout for talented individuals to join their workforce. With a reputation for excellence, innovation, and a global presence, TCS offers exciting opportunities for professionals looking to build a successful career in the IT industry.
TCS is known for its commitment to excellence and the quality of its services. As a result, they seek individuals who possess strong technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and a passion for learning and innovation. TCS values diversity and encourages a collaborative and inclusive work environment where individuals can unleash their potential and contribute to meaningful projects for clients around the globe.
So apart from applying for TCS for the role of software developer via its official website, taking part in walk-ins or job drives, freshers also have a way by appearing in the TCS NQT to get their entry into TCS.
TCS National Qualifier Test (TCS NQT) is a multi-level assessment to assess the following competencies and skills:
- Competence on the core cognitive processes required for entry-level jobs
- Industry-specific knowledge and insights
- Specialisation in skills required to perform various job roles
About the Test
- NQT (Cognitive Skills) is a prerequisite for all the tests
- Two-year validity of NQT Score
- Conducted online (at home) and physical In-Centre at TCS iON Authorised Exam Centres
- Candidates with NQT Score will be eligible to apply on the TCS iON Job Listing Portal
- Apply for an entry-level role in any corporate with the NQT Score
The languages that you can use in the test are –
Who can Apply
- UG, PG, and Diploma students in their pre-final and final year
- Students with any degree and specialization
- Freshers with less than 2 years of experience
Now, let’s have a look at how the TCS recruitment process looks like if you follow the general process.
TCS Recruitment Process For Software Development
TCS conducts approximately 5-6 rounds before finally deciding who they want to hire.
Online Aptitude Round
The first round is the Quantitative Aptitude Test, which assesses both numerical and critical thinking abilities. There are a total of 20 questions to answer in 40 minutes. There are certain 2-star questions that carry a little more weight than regular questions and are a little more difficult. There is a 1/3rd of negative marking other than the star questions.
Questions covered in this round would be from probability, percentages, number system, permutations & computations, work and time, reasoning, divisibility, problem on ages, etc.
Programming MCQ Round
This round will consist of 10-15 questions from computer science and programming languages. It will be an MCQ-based round and you will be given approximately 20 minutes to finish it.
This round will consist of 2 coding questions that you will have to solve within 15-30 minutes or so. The questions may appear from C, C++, Python, Perl, Java, etc. The questions may look like this:
- String Reversal
- Average of two Numbers
- LCM of two Numbers
- HCF/GCD Question
Practice interview coding questions from topics like Arrays, Recursion, Sorting, Searching, Linked List, and more.
You will be greeted by the interviewer and the first few questions would be to introduce yourself and explain the projects you have worked on or a similar question from your Resume. To pass this round, you must have a firm grasp of the fundamentals. Data structures and algorithms, DBMS, Operating System, Networking, OOPs principles, and questions from a programming language of your choosing may come up.
Some of the example questions that were asked in this round are:
- How can volte work in a 4G mobile?
- What is an IP address?
- What is Cloud Computing?
- Explain types of protocols.
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- How to connect nine dots using three straight lines?
Take mock tests before appearing for the interview. Be it for technical topics or for aptitude, this is the first step to success!
This round is conducted decision-making capabilities and reactions to hypothetical and spontaneous situations. Sometimes the candidates will be directly sent to the HR round depending on their performance in the past rounds. The key to acing this round is to stay calm, confident, and clear with what you say.
This round will cover mostly basic HR questions. Some of them may look like these:
- Tell us something about yourself.
- Why do you want to go for an IT job?
- Why do you want to work in TCS?
- Are you flexible to relocate to other locations in India?
- Full-time graduates from BE/BTech/ME/MTech are eligible. Candidates with a Secondary or Senior Secondary course from NIOS (National Institute of Open Schooling) will be eligible to apply if the other courses are full-time.
- The candidate must secure minimum aggregate marks of 60% or above in Class Xth, XIIth, Diploma (if applicable), Graduation and Post-Graduation examination.
- It is to be noted that an overall gap of two years in the academic year is permitted.
- Certification in several Programming Languages will be considered a bonus.
- Only 1 active backlog in the highest qualification is allowed to meet the eligibility criteria for TCS.
TCS, a global leader in IT services and consulting, presents a compelling opportunity for professionals looking to excel in their careers. With a strong emphasis on technical excellence, innovation, and employee development, TCS offers an environment where individuals can thrive and make a significant impact. From cutting-edge projects to a supportive work culture and extensive training programs, TCS provides the necessary tools and resources for individuals to succeed.
By joining TCS, you can become part of a diverse and talented workforce that collaborates on transformative projects for clients across industries. TCS values the unique skills and perspectives that each individual brings to the table, fostering an inclusive and collaborative environment. With a commitment to continuous learning, employees have the opportunity to upskill and stay ahead in the rapidly evolving IT landscape.
So, with all that in mind, how prepared do you think you are for getting placed at TCS? Boost up your aptitude, programming & technical skills with us. Enroll yourself in our Crest Placement Program! at Prepbytes Start building today for what’s coming tomorrow and that’s how you make sure you get a spot!
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions):
1. How can I apply for a job at TCS?
A. You can apply for a job at TCS by visiting the company’s official website or through job portals where TCS posts its job openings. Follow the application instructions and submit your resume and other required documents.
2. What are the qualities TCS looks for in candidates?
A. TCS seeks candidates with strong technical skills, problem-solving abilities, a passion for learning and innovation, and excellent communication and collaboration skills.
3. Are there opportunities for career growth at TCS?
A. Yes, TCS provides ample opportunities for career growth and development. The company has a structured career progression framework, offers training programs, and encourages employees to take on challenging assignments and leadership roles.
4. What industries does TCS serve?
A. TCS serves a diverse range of industries, including banking and financial services, healthcare, manufacturing, retail, telecommunications, and more.
5. Does TCS provide training programs?
A. Yes, TCS offers extensive training programs to help employees upskill and stay updated with the latest technologies and industry trends.
6. What is the work culture like at TCS?
A. TCS fosters a supportive and collaborative work culture, valuing diversity, inclusivity, and teamwork.
7. Are there flexible work arrangements available at TCS?
A. Yes, TCS provides flexible work arrangements to promote work-life balance, including options for remote work and flexible working hours.